Gripe water is a traditionally used over the counter liquid supplement to relieve colic discomfort due to gas & indigestion. There may be many symptoms of stomach pain/colic discomfort and number of reasons to occur in baby?
If a healthy new born seems fussy or crying over a period, it may be stomach ache.
- Crying is loud & continuous and it occurs same time every day without any reason (not because of hunger or dirty diaper)
- Excessive hiccups & burping (though burping is a normal process for expelling out gas, but in excess means more air is being swallowed at the time of feeding)
- Baby with stomach pain or discomfort will have trouble sleeping
- Swollen abdomen could be the sign of gas trapped in the intestines may lead to stomach pain and continuous crying.
- Swallowed air – During breast & bottle feeding.
- Incomplete breakdown of food due to immaturity of the digestive system
- Excessive Medications and OTC drugs
- Food allergies or sensitivity – sometimes colic is the result of an allergy to milk protein, very rarely due to some diet taken by breastfeed moms
- Constipation & Acidity
Gripe water is over the counter liquid supplement to relieve colic and other gastrointestinal ailments. Traditionally, gripe water consist of alcohol & sodium bicarbonate. Then, alcohol was taken out from it but apart from this most of the gripe water brand contains Sodium Bicarbonate/ Sarjikashara. In case of getting easy burp sodium bicarbonate/baking soda (commonly used in ENO) is used but the sad part is sodium bicarbonate is harmful for babies as claimed by doctors & many researchers. In our Indian culture many household has belief in ancient home remedy containing Ajwain and Saunf for treating colic discomfort due gas & indigestion.
Mother Sparsh understand the need of parents and formulated Ayurvedic Gripe water without Sodium Bicarbonate (Sarjikashara/Baking Soda) taking references form Ayurveda with the usage of Ajwain, Saunf & Pudhina. Mother Sparsh gripe water does not have sodium bicarbonate/baking soda for the following reasons
- Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) is an alkali (antacid) which alters the PH of stomach acid which is naturally created in baby’s stomach. However, stomach acid serves a useful purpose because it helps the body to digest food, protects the gut from infections. Disrupting the stomach’s natural acidity has led to concerns about risk for infection in babies and affects the absorption of nutrients like calcium, magnesium, B12, and iron.
- Sodium Bicarbonate can temporarily relieve some discomfort caused in case of acidic stomach. But, unfortunately, sodium bicarbonate is absorbed into the bloodstream of babies and can have unwanted/harmful side effects. As per Medline Plus, a service of the U.S National Library of Medicine, antacids (sodium bicarbonate/baking soda) should not be given to young children/babies (up to 12 years of age) unless it is prescribed by the doctors”.
Mother Sparsh Gripe Water has been carefully designed to softly act upon the baby’s organ without producing adversity or side effect. Mother Sparsh gripe water is absolutely free from artificial flavor & colors, parabens, Sodium Bicarbonate (sarjikakshara), alcohol, gluten, charcoal & other harmful synthetic molecules. It is a pure Ayurvedic formulation which contains unique and stomach pacifying herbs that effectively helps in relieving from various colic ailments such as gas , acidity & indigestion.