Scalp Buildup: Meaning, Causes, Solutions
- Reading time 4 mins.
In the modern age of hairstyling, pollution, changing weather & an endless number of styling products, there’s a lot of gunk that gets stuck to your scalp & hair & can be the reasons for oily scalp & lead to product buildup. Product buildup can further lead the hair follicles to get clogged. Scalp buildup often causes dry flaky scalp & aggravates conditions like dandruff, itchiness & hair breakage.
For dull strands to regain their health and bounce, deeply cleansing & exfoliating the scalp & hair helps to eliminate product buildup, excess oil/sebum, and environmental impurities.
Aside from balancing the scalp, it is essential to detox the scalp reset it from scalp build up as your tresses and scalp are coated with impurities, dirt in hair, and grime, daily. Additionally, the numerous hair styling products that we use on our scalp are brimming with chemicals that are toxic & wiping out grime, dirt, product residue, and other impurities without leaving the strands parched is essential to maintain the scalp health.
What causes build up in hair and what does build up in hair look like?
Some causes of scalp buildup are :
- Hair-care products: use of excessive hair & styling products can lead to the buildup of product residue. Conditioners, serums, styling mouse & waxes are some common products that often cause product buildup.
- Overproduction of sebum: is a major issue that causes hair to become greasy & can lead to various scalp conditions such as dandruff and acne. When left untreated & uncared, sebum buildup can cause chronic complications such as hair loss & scalp irritation
- Sweat: In addition to sebum production & product residue, sweat & dirt are also common causes of scalp clogging or scalp buildup.
- Dead Skin Cells: Accumulation of dead skin cells on the scalp can cause dry skin, scaly flakes & greasy patches. Frequent scalp exfoliation can benefit your hair health in the long run as it eliminates clogged impurities & restores scalp balance.
What Is a Scalp Detox?
Scalp detoxification is a process of exfoliating scalp build up & clarifying the scalp which helps buff away impurities & dead skin cells, unclog the pores, and product buildup from the strands. We’re familiar with skin exfoliation, such as face arms & other parts of our body But we seldom think about exfoliating our scalp.
How to Detox Your Scalp & How do I exfoliate my scalp?
The most effective way to begin with scalp detoxing is to remove the grime & debris from the scalp which can be done by using a clarifying shampoo & scalp cleanser:
How to remove dirt from hair that causes scalp buildup is by finding the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair type
If you’re wondering how to remove dead skin from scalp, how often can I wash my hair & how do I deep clean my scalp? Then we’ve got your back! A good clarifying shampoo can help minimize scalp buildup, therefore it is important to consider your hair type before you choose a clarifying shampoo that can support various formulations such as dry hair, colored & treated hair, oily scalp, etc., narrowing down to your hair type will help you further choose a suitable product for your hair type is knowing how to clean hair scalp.
Here’s a list of hair types and the primary ingredients that one should look for when opting for a clarifying shampoo.
- Oily scalp type: how to reduce sebum production on scalp? Hair with excess sebum production & opt for stronger formulations that cut through the excess sebum on the scalp. Ingredients like kaolin, bentonite clay are known to suit the oilier scalp.
- Average-to-dry hair: Such hair types should stray off any sulfates & parabens. Opting for shampoos with mild formulations & ingredients like apple cider vinegar, lemongrass & ginger can prevent scalp build up.
- Dry & damaged hair: Scalp types that are more on the drier side tend to be flakier & choosing a shampoo with a moderate formulation can help in eliminating the flakes while restoring the scalp balance & sebum on scalp. A great pick for a shampoo that removes flakes while nourishing the scalp would be Mother Sparsh Ginger & Neem Anti-Dandruff Shampoo.
Home remedies: How do you remove dead skin from your scalp?
Did you know that detoxing your scalp can be done by raiding the kitchen?
When it comes down to DIY scalp exfoliation treatments, making your own by choosing suitable ingredients is doable!
Some ingredients that you could get your hands on to create your healthy scalp home remedies & if you’re wondering how do I get rid of scalp build up?
1. Aloe vera: Here’s all you need to know about what is sebum production in hair & how Aloe Vera can regulate it. Aloe vera gel is a great skin soother; that also breaks down dead skin cells, flakes, and promotes scalp healing. It also has rich hair conditioning and anti-itch qualities that are beneficial for scalp health.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has been known to comprise antimicrobial properties, which helps in eradicating dandruff-causing components & sebum buildup on scalp . A rinse with apple cider vinegar once a week can help remove product & scalp buildup.
3. Ginger: When wondering how to remove scalp build up? Ginger is all you need! It is loaded with antibacterial & antimicrobial properties which help in resetting the scalp & restoring its balance. An ayurvedic way of detoxing the scalp can be with age-old lep healing ritual with Mother Sparsh Ginger & Neem Hair Lep, it consists of the dual magical power of Ginger & Neem which helps, soothe itchy scalp, nourish dry strands & eliminate dandruff & scalp buildup.
4. Multani Mitti, Bentonite Clay: It typically can be found in powdered form & is all you need to know to clean scalp pores. It is brimming with scalp purifying and oil-eliminating minerals that are amazing for clarifying the scalp & a natural scalp cleanser. They are better suited to oilier scalps & can be very effective in removing dead skin cells & excess sebum production.
5. Essential oils like lemongrass: Hair tonics, masks & products with formulation with 10% lemongrass oil were found to be effective in treating & reducing dandruff & scalp detox. how to open pores on scalp? The answer is with scalp massage by infusing essential oil like lemongrass with any hair oil of your liking, which penetrates scalp layers and reduces scalp buildup.
In conclusion, Scalp buildup is often caused by the accumulation & residue of various products & substances on the scalp. It can further cause flaking, dryness of the scalp & if not cared for, scalp build up can aggravate the scalp conditions to cause hair loss, scalp irritation & acne.
Another way of maintaining a healthy scalp is through proper & good hygiene and a well-thought hair-care regimen that is suitable for your hair type mentioned above, it can help prevent and cure scalp buildup.
Ensure on reducing both natural i.e. dead skin cells, sebum production, and product buildup. Use our recommended tips to learn how to clean scalp deeply & to maintain a healthy, flake-free scalp!